Friday, May 8, 2009

Can We Forgive Them for Being Stupid?

After all the government investigations, after all the scandals, after Mark MaGwire, Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, after all that has happened the past few years, Manny Ramirez still gets caught taking an illegal drug, gets suspended for 50 games and loses perhaps 9 million dollars in the deal?

There's only one logical conclusion. Jocks are stupid. I guess I knew that back in high school, but for some reason I never thought it applied to my favorite baseball players. Mickey Mantle, Don Drysdale, Willie Mays....they were heroes, not dumb jocks. They were better human beings than the rest of us.

Well, Manny finally put that notion to rest. Hell, I'm not even mad at him...I'm mad at the people who were supposed to take care of him. How can I get mad at a toddler who runs into the street when his mother should have been watching him? Alas, Manny didn't even have the intelligence to use a tiny fraction of his 25 million a year to hire someone to watch his ass for him.

I was right back in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment